After another week of indecision, I realized (on Monday) that we would be leaving for Thanksgiving in just two weeks, and that I would have to really get a move on with the sweater if I wanted to reach my goal of finishing it before that trip. I think I allowed myself one more day of going back and forth – and finally decided just to continue up toward the hood. The only person who really had a problem with the look actually dislikes the design, not the small asymmetry, and since I like the design, I’m moving ahead with it.
Monday night, I calculated a pattern for the hood – not the normal sort of hood with a seam or two on top, but a big cozy one shaped with lots of increasing and short rows, inspired by this one, but made bottom up (and somewhat different shaping) and, this being the sweater that it is, more pleats – and then knit it up on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Unfortunately, I didn’t get a really good shot of the whole sweater at the finished-hood stage; as soon as I laid it out on the carpet, Maxwell decided he still likes it as a cozy dog bed. But if you just look past the furry pups, you can get the general idea…
I’m now on the edging that’s picked up all around the front opening and the hood; it will be garter stitch, like I’ve got around the bottom edge and cuffs. I’d show you a photo, but it’s not very photogenic, since I’ve got that whole length of fabric squished up onto 40″ needles Very soon, all that will be left will be the puffy pleated pockets, and the i-cord edging around the entire thing. I’m hoping to get it washed and blocking by the end of next week at the latest.