My fleece is finally dry!
… and today I got to try my hand at carding, although not literally, thank goodness. Working an entire fleece by hand with carding paddles does not look very pleasant at all. Instead, I borrowed a tabletop sized electric drum carder at my local yarn shop.
It really is a tiny version of the industrial sized cards I posted about last week. You feed the fleece in from the left, under a small roller (hidden by the brush above) with coarse bristles, from which it’s transferred onto the larger, more finely bristled drum on the right.
A surprising large amount of fleece fits onto that large drum; here’s how much I got off on the first pass (probably about 5% of my total fleece).
That lid is about 18″ by 30″, for reference….
I realized after beginning that the whole process works better if you pull apart the little hanks of hair (or french fries, as I’m still calling them internally) before feeding them in. So curly and pretty!
It dawned on me today that Maxwell hasn’t made a blog appearance in a surprisingly long time, so – here’s him looking cutely annoyed at the noise of the machine.
(And also the very large volume of fleece I still had left to card….)
Before continuing with the carding, though, I was so excited to have a little bit of real roving of my own that I borrowed a drop spindle, read a quick tutorial online, and spun up a little bit of sample yarn. It’s pretty terrible – not even at all and maybe over twisted or under twisted or who knows what, but it’s mine, from my very own fleece!
Perhaps I will celebrate by knitting a coaster or a tiny scarf for Bruno.